Paying into a final salary section

Transferring benefits

T4_T13_content page image_coffee cup and laptop

Whether you're thinking about transferring pension benefits in or out of the Fund, it is strongly recommended that you take independent financial advice first.


If you are contributing to the Fund, you can transfer benefits in from other approved pension schemes ​to buy extra membership.

If you joined BTP from a Home Office force, you can apply for a transfer of past benefits under a bilateral transfer agreement. Whilst there is currently no bilateral transfer agreement in place for members of the CARE arrangement, if you are interested in transferring your Home Office pension to BTP, you should register your interest in doing so with RPMI.

RPMI can then issue a transfer quotation once a bilateral transfer agreement is in place. You can request a transfer-in quotation by completing a Transfer-in form.


You can transfer all your Fund benefits (plus any BRASS and AVC Extra funds you hold) to another approved scheme.

If your defined benefit benefits are valued at over £30,000 - and you want to transfer to a Money Purchase arrangement - you ​must prove that you have taken independent financial advice before the transfer ​can be considered.

You must check that the scheme you want to transfer your benefits to accepts transfers-in.

Please email or telephone the Helpline on 0800 2 343434 to request a transfer-out form.

  • RPS_icons_info_46x46

    Sign up for myFund

    Have you registered with myFund yet? Get instant access to your BTP pension account today.