Making a complaint

What ​you should do if you're not happy with our service

Here at RPMI, we want to deliver an excellent service to you. If you feel that our standards have fallen short, please contact us straightaway to let us know. We want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

When you contact us, you will need to provide the following details: 

  • your full name and pension reference number
  • your contact details (including your daytime phone number)
  • details of what happened, and
  • what you think we should do to put things right.

How we will handle your complaint

Your complaint will be dealt with carefully and considerately.

  • We promise to contact you within ​two working days of receiving your complaint to let you know who will be dealing with it;
  • We aim to send a full response to you within 10 working days. If the issue is complicated, needs detailed investigation or information from other sources, we will contact you to confirm when we will respond;
  • We will tell you why things went wrong and explain any action we need to take to make sure it doesn't happen again.

How to contact us


the Helpline on 0800 2343434
Write to:  
                 PO Box 300
                 Darlington DL3 6YJ

If you are still not happy with our response

You can ask for your complaint to be considered under the Scheme's Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure (IDRP). At this stage we will:

  • acknowledge your request, and
  • send a full response to you within two months under Stage One of the IDRP

What's the next step if we can't find a solution together?

Under Stage Two of the IDRP, you can ask us to refer your complaint to the Scheme's Trustee, or their representative, for their consideration.

  • Your complaint will be discussed at the next available Committee meeting, and
  • a response will be sent to you within 10 working days after that meeting.

 What if I'm still not happy?

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) is an independent voluntary organisation with local advisers who are expert in pension matters. You can contact TPAS at any time and their services are free. Visit for details.

If TPAS can't help with your problem, you can contact the Pensions Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is independent and can investigate a complaint or legal dispute relating to your Scheme membership. Please note that you will be expected to have gone through each stage of RPMI's complaint process before contacting the Ombudsman. Visit for details.